hold againstphrasal verb
held against; holding against; holds against
Definition of hold against
: to use (something) as a reason to have a bad opinion of (someone) He lied to her once, and she still holds it against him. Nobody is going to hold it against you if you don't come.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game