Definition of hog peanut
: a plant of the genus Amphicarpa that is usually considered to constitute a single variable species (A. bracteata), is widely distributed in eastern and central North America, and produces abundant subterranean fruits, each containing a single edible seed which resembles a peanut, is much relished by hogs, and was formerly important in Amerindian dietary
— called also wild peanut
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game