hit/strike/touch a nerveidiom
Definition of hit/strike/touch a nerve
: to make someone feel angry, upset, embarrassed, etc. Something she said to him must have hit/struck/touched a nerve. I've never seen him so angry. His controversial column might have hit a (raw/sensitive) nerve with some readers.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?