hip·pe·as·trum | \ ˌhipēˈastrəm\
Definition of hippeastrum
1 capitalized : a genus of tropical American bulbous plants (family Amaryllidaceae) that are widely cultivated for their showy white to crimson flowers and that are sometimes included in the genus Amaryllis
2 plural -s : any amaryllis of the genus Hippeastrum
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game