hint atphrasal verb
hinted at; hinting at; hints at
Definition of hint at
: to talk about (something) in an indirect way He's been hinting at the possibility of running for mayor. The history textbook only hinted at the racial prejudice of that era.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game