variants: or less commonly hinge
Definition of hinge line
1a : an imaginary line on the earth's surface which can be regarded as a boundary between a stable region and one undergoing upward or downward movement
b : a line around which one wall of a fault may appear to have rotated with respect to the other wall
2 : the dorsal edge or border of a bivalve shell on which the hinge is situated
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?