Definition of hill holder
: a device other than a hand brake that keeps a motor vehicle from backing down an incline when the foot is removed from the brake pedal especially : such a device connected to a clutch pedal to keep the brakes applied as long as the clutch pedal is depressed
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game