Definition of higher fungus
: any of numerous fungi with hyphae well-developed, septate, and usually at some stage of development interwoven into a compact tissue especially in the fruiting body (as in ascomycetes, basidiomycetes, and imperfect fungi) — compare lower fungus
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?