Definition of hidden quantity
: the quantity of a hidden vowel so situated that its natural quantity is not determinable by scansion (as when it comes before a double consonant or before two or more consecutive consonants other than a mute and a liquid in the same word)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game