Definition of heteropoly acid
: any of a large group of complex oxygen-containing acids derived from two or more different inorganic acids by elimination of water from two or more molecules of the acids especially : an acid regarded as formed by combination of several molecules of an acid anhydride (as molybdenum trioxide or tungsten trioxide) with a second acid that furnishes the central atom (as phosphorus or silicon) of the complex —distinguished from isopoly acid
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game