Definition of heterophobia
- As in so many areas of our society, divisions are drawn in black and white; there are no shades of gray. Homophobia is countered by heterophobia; the empty answer to gay-bashing is a vow to bash back. There are sadder developments in American life, I suppose, but for the moment, I can't think of one.
- —Pete Hamill, Esquire, August 1990
heterophobeplay \ˈhe-tə-rə-ˌfōb\ noun, plural heterophobes
- Raised by equally disenfranchised drag queens in San Francisco … Cho became a self-confessed heterophobe.
- —Leatrice Spevack, The Toronto Star, 2 Mar. 2001
heterophobicplay \ˌhe-tə-rə-ˈfō-bik\ adjective
- Take straight men, for example. Most of my life I avoided them … . At one point I was just as heterophobic as I thought they were homophobic, and I lived in isolation.
- —Cameron Lopez, The Salt Lake Tribune, 26 Feb. 2006