her·mo·dac·tyl | \ ˈhərməˌdaktᵊl\
variants: or hermodactylus \ ˌ⸗⸗ˈ⸗tələs \
plural hermodactyls\ -tᵊlz \ or hermodactyli\ -təˌlī \
Definition of hermodactyl
1 : a root formerly used as a cathartic or for the relief of gout that was probably derived from an Asiatic colchicum (Colchicum luteum) but has been often considered to be or confused with the root of the Mediterranean snake's-head iris
2 : a plant producing hermodactyls broadly : any of various colchicums — compare colchicine
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game