Definition of hen harrier
: a slender, long-tailed, Eurasian hawk (Circus cyaneus) inhabiting open and marshy regions that is largely pale gray above and white below in the adult male and brown above and buff with dark streaks below in the female and young male In Britain, the hen harrier, Circus cyaneus, is a beautiful but scarce bird of prey, today found mainly on moorland in Scotland.— Robert M. May, Nature, 25 Sept. 1997 — see northern harrier
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game