Definition of hen harrier
: a slender, long-tailed, Eurasian hawk (Circus cyaneus) inhabiting open and marshy regions that is largely pale gray above and white below in the adult male and brown above and buff with dark streaks below in the female and young male In Britain, the hen harrier, Circus cyaneus, is a beautiful but scarce bird of prey, today found mainly on moorland in Scotland.— Robert M. May, Nature, 25 Sept. 1997 — see northern harrier
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game