variants: or less commonly hemlock spanworm
Definition of hemlock looper
: a greenish looper that is the larva of a rather plain buff or gray geometrid moth (Lambdina fiscellaria) of most of North America, that feeds on hemlock and other conifers and oak, and that is sometimes a serious defoliator
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?