he·mix·is | \ hēˈmiksə̇s\
variants: or less commonly hemimixis \ ˌ⸗⸗ at hemi- +ˈmiksə̇s \
Definition of hemixis
: a reorganization process in various ciliated protozoans in which the macronucleus breaks up and a new macronucleus is reconstituted from the fragments without accompanying micronuclear changes — compare endomixis
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game