Definition of hello girl
late 19th and early 20th centuries : a woman working as a telephone operator Meanwhile the hello girl had quietly switched him over to the police station, where a nimble-witted policeman sized up the situation, hopped on his bike and pedalled to the telephone booth. — New South Wales Bulletin, 14 July 1927
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game