Definition of helioseismology
: the study of vibrations in the material that makes up the Sun Scientists have discovered that the sun is vibrating, and they can detect this “global oscillation” using the new techniques of “helioseismology,” which are similar to those used in terrestrial seismology.— Madeleine Jacobs, Chicago Tribune, 29 Dec. 1985
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?