he·li·an·thus | \ -an(t)thəs\
Definition of helianthus
1 capitalized : a genus of tall erect or sometimes much-branched American annual or perennial herbs (family Compositae) comprising the sunflowers and having flower heads with purple or yellow disk flowers and showy yellow sterile rays — see jerusalem artichoke
2 plural -es : any plant of the genus Helianthus
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game