plural heirs portioners
Definition of heir portioner
1 Scots law : one of two or more female heirs coming in the absence of male issue into a succession to an estate and sharing equally according to degree of consanguinity, the share of any deceased female in the same degree going by representation to her heirs-at-law in the order of the eldest male, then other males, and finally the females
2 Scots law : one of two or more usually female heirs in the same degree taking equal shares per capita
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?