hedge inphrasal verb
hedged in; hedging in; hedges in
Definition of hedge in
1 : to form a boundary around (something) a field hedged in by trees
2 : to surround or restrict (someone) in a way that prevents free movement or action We have been hedged in by their rules and regulations.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game