heat upphrasal verb
heated up; heating up; heats up
Definition of heat up
1 : to become warm or hot The morning started out cold but it heated up quickly.
2 : to become more active, intense, or angry Their conversation started to heat up. Competition between the two companies is heating up.
3 heat (something) up or heat up (something) : to cause (something) to become warm or hot Could you heat up the vegetables, please?
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game