Definition of headright
1 : a grant (as of money or land) formerly given one who fulfilled certain conditions relating especially to settling and developing land (as in Virginia in 1619 and in Texas in 1839)
2 : a right belonging to member of an American Indian tribe to receive a per-capita share in the distribution of income earned by the tribal trust fund (as from the sale or lease of mineral rights) or a share of the fund on its termination also : the right of a member to a share of tribal property
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game