variants: or less commonly head-and-tail-light fish
Definition of head-and-tail-light
: a small South American characin fish (Hemigrammus ocellifer) that is translucent green with orange-tinged black-tipped fins and shimmering red eyes and tail spots and is often kept in the tropical aquarium
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?