Definition of hawk owl
1 : a largely diurnal owl (Surnia ulula) of northern forests that somewhat resembles a hawk in appearance, having a long rounded tail and rather short pointed wings
2 : a widespread owl (Ninox scutulata) of eastern Asia and the Pacific islands having the facial disk little differentiated also : any of several congeners (as the boobook owls)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game