Definition of hawk owl
1 : a largely diurnal owl (Surnia ulula) of northern forests that somewhat resembles a hawk in appearance, having a long rounded tail and rather short pointed wings
2 : a widespread owl (Ninox scutulata) of eastern Asia and the Pacific islands having the facial disk little differentiated also : any of several congeners (as the boobook owls)
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?