have/keep (something) up one's sleeveidiom
Definition of have/keep (something) up one's sleeve
: to have/keep a secret method, trick, etc., that one can use when it is needed The coach always keeps a few tricks up his sleeve. They still have some surprises up their sleeves.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game