have a mind of one's ownidiom
Definition of have a mind of one's own
: to have one's own ideas and make one's own choices about what should be done Her parents want her to go to college, but she has a mind of her own and insists on trying to become an actress. —often used figuratively I can't get the camera to work right. It seems to have a mind of its own.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game