get/have a line onidiom
Definition of get/have a line on
: to get or have information about (someone or something that one is trying to find) Have the police managed to get a line on any of the suspects? She says she has a line on a new car.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game