have (someone) backidiom
Definition of have (someone) back
1 : to be with (someone who has returned) again Welcome home! It's great to have you back (with us again)! We'd love to have you back for another visit. He longs to have her back in his life. The doctor said he'd like to have me back for more tests next week.
2 : to allow (someone) to return He wants to return to his wife, but she won't have him back.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game