have (someone) backidiom
Definition of have (someone) back
1 : to be with (someone who has returned) again Welcome home! It's great to have you back (with us again)! We'd love to have you back for another visit. He longs to have her back in his life. The doctor said he'd like to have me back for more tests next week.
2 : to allow (someone) to return He wants to return to his wife, but she won't have him back.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game