variants: or hart's-tongue fern
plural hart's-tongues or hart's-tongue ferns
Definition of hart's-tongue
1 : a chiefly Eurasian fern (Phyllitis scolopendrium) with simple lanceolate fronds often auriculate at the base
2 : a tropical American fern (Polybotria cervina) of the family Polypodiaceae
3 : strap fern
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game