variants: or arquebus \ ˈär-kwi-(ˌ)bəs , -kə-bəs \
Definition of harquebus
: a matchlock gun invented in the 15th century which was portable but heavy and was usually fired from a support
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game