Definition of harlequin quail
1 : a small African quail (Coturnix delegorguei) that frequents low-lying grassy tropical areas and is a highly regarded game and table bird
2 : any of various chiefly tropical American quails (genus Cyrtonyx) having the sides of the head conspicuously patterned in black and white
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game