happen tophrasal verb
happened to; happening to; happens to
Definition of happen to
: to affect or involve (someone or something) as the result of an event or action An odd thing happened to me on my way to the office last week. I wonder what/whatever happened to that guy after he lost his job. especially : to affect (someone or something) in a bad or harmful way I promise nothing will happen to you. What happened to the car? There's a big scratch on the fender.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?