hands are tiedidiom
Definition of hands are tied
—used to say that someone is unable to act freely because something (such as a rule or law) prevents it I'd like to help you, but my hands are tied.The judge says her hands are tied because the law requires a harsh sentence in such cases.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?