Definition of handline
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a line managed chiefly by direct contact with the hands: such as
a : any of several comparatively simple arrangements of hooks and line designed for use in the hands of or under the immediate and continuous supervision of a fisherman —opposed to setline
b : the line on a hand lead
c : a line used without rod or reel for fishing
2 : a fire hose of small diameter
Definition of handline (Entry 2 of 2)
: to fish with a handline
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game