Definition of hand letter
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a single letter usually cut in brass that is applied by hand to the binding of a book
Definition of hand-letter (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : to print by hand a hand-lettered notice in chalk on the wall
2 : to apply hand letters to (a book or its binding)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game