Definition of hand specimen
1 : a fragment of rock trimmed and shaped to dimensions of about 4×3×1 inches
2 : a fragment of rock with at least one freshly broken surface and small enough to be easily handled for megascopic study
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game