Definition of hammer oyster
: any of several bivalve mollusks of Malleus and related genera of Chinese and Australian waters having elongated handle-shaped shells that resemble an oyster on the interior and that are prolonged in both directions at the dorsal margin to suggest the head of a hammer
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?