Definition of halo blight
1 or less commonly halo spot : a blight of beans and occasionally other legumes that is caused by a bacterium (Pseudomonas phaseolicola) and typically produces on the leaves, stems, and pods round water-soaked lesions surrounded by a yellowish zonation, the lesions finally turning brick red
2 : blight affecting the leaves of oats and other grasses caused by a bacterium (Pseudomonas coronafaciens) characterized by oval water-soaked lesions turning gray to brownish and surrounded by a pale zonation
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game