Definition of half-integer
: any number of the form x/2, where x is any odd integer Particles whose spin is a half-integer of h, on the other hand, are fermions satisfying the Pauli exclusion principle; no two particles can have the same state.— Qimiao Si et al., Science, 3 Sept. 2010
Note: A half of an even integer is considered an integer. A half-integer is the result of a half of an odd integer.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game