gum·by | \ ˈgu̇mbē, ˈgüm-\
variants: or less commonly gumbé \ -ˌbā , ⸗ˈ⸗ \
plural gumbies also gumbés
Definition of gumby
: a drum made by stretching a skin over a piece of a hollowed tree and used especially in the West Indies
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?