gua·ya·bi | \ ¦gwīə¦bē\
Definition of guayabi
1 : a large South American timber tree (Patagonula americana) of the family Boraginaceae
2 : the highly valued hard tough heavy wood of the guayabi:
a : a thick whitish or pale brown sapwood that is used especially for parts or articles (as tool handles and oars) subject to rough usage and recurrent strain
b : a heartwood usually variegated in shades of brown or blackish purple and capable of taking a high polish that is used for fine furniture, turning, and cabinetwork
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game