gua·ya·bi | \ ¦gwīə¦bē\
Definition of guayabi
1 : a large South American timber tree (Patagonula americana) of the family Boraginaceae
2 : the highly valued hard tough heavy wood of the guayabi:
a : a thick whitish or pale brown sapwood that is used especially for parts or articles (as tool handles and oars) subject to rough usage and recurrent strain
b : a heartwood usually variegated in shades of brown or blackish purple and capable of taking a high polish that is used for fine furniture, turning, and cabinetwork
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?