guard againstphrasal verb
guarded against; guarding against; guards against
Definition of guard against
: to try to keep (something) from happening Clean the wound to guard against infection. That's the sort of thinking we have to guard against.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game