greater/better/more than the sum of its partsidiom
Definition of greater/better/more than the sum of its parts
—used to say that something is better or more effective as a team, combination, etc., than would be expected when looking at the different parts that form it The team lacks standout players, but it has proved to be greater than the sum of its parts.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game