Definition of greater feria
1 : a feria of the Roman Catholic church calendar (as a weedkay of Advent or Lent) which must at least be commemorated in the office of a feast falling on the same day and the office of which has precedence over that of simple feasts or if privileged (as Ash Wednesday and the first three days of Holy Week) over any feast
— called also major feria
2 : a feria of the Anglican church calendar with a service that takes precedence over feasts of low rank falling on the same day
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game