Definition of great scale
: the scale ascribed to Guido d'Arezzo that includes the seven hexachords and all notes recognized in medieval church music, its notes being named by letters combined with the syllables of the successive hexachords (as Gamma ut, A re, B mi, C fa ut) — compare solmization
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game