great black cockatoonoun
Definition of great black cockatoo
: a very large black cockatoo (Probosciger aterrimus) of New Guinea and northern Australia that has a tall erectile crest, patches of bright red naked skin on the cheeks, and an extremely large powerful bill with which it cracks the palm nuts on which it chiefly feeds
— called also palm cockatoo
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game