variants: or grape louse
Definition of grape phylloxera
: a small yellowish green North American phylloxera (Phylloxera vitifoliae) that lives and forms galls on the leaves and roots of various grapes being relatively harmless to native forms but extremely destructive to European vinifera grapes
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game