Definition of grand style
1 : a literary style marked by a sustained and lofty dignity, sublimity, and eloquence (as often attributed to epic poets)
2 : an artistic style associated generally with 17th and early 18th century European works and characterized chiefly by the idealized representation of the human figure as noble and heroic in emulation of classical and Renaissance artistic prototypes
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?