variants: or less commonly grand stave
Definition of grand staff
: a pair of five-line staffs connected by a brace that contain the music for a single instrument (such as a piano, xylophone, or harp) Middle C, located near the center of the keyboard, falls in the center of the grand staff.— Tricia Woods, Easy Soloing for Jazz Keyboard, 2008 also : a set of three five-line staffs that contain the music for an organ’s manuals and pedals
— called also great staff, great stave— see staff
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game