Definition of granadilla wood
1 : the wood of the granadilla tree
— called also cocuswood
2 : a dark red hardwood derived from a cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) of northern South America and used in making musical instruments (as clarinets)
3 in Puerto Rico : the yellow satiny wood of a tropical American tree (Buchenavia capitata) of the family Combretaceae
4 : the chocolate-brown hardwood of a tropical American tree (Caesalpinia granadillo)
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game